Career Technical Education
Giving you tomorrow....Today!
- Introduction to Medical Careers
- Introduction to Pharmacy
- Emergency Medical Training
- Sports Medicine
- Health Internship
- Human Body Structures and Functions
Health Science is for students who have or may have an interest in health care. Students who wish to pursue a career in one of the many health care careers will be interested in Health Science. They will gain knowledge that will prepare them for entry level jobs in the health care field.
Credentialing & Career Information:
- Certified Patient Care Technician (CPCT)
- Pharmacy Technician
- Physical Therapist
- Athletic Trainer
- Students in Health Science have the opportunity to participate in Health Occupations Students of America, a national club that focuses on health science careers and areas pertinent to health care.
- Sports Medicine students learn how to wrap and tape injured body parts.
- Students in the Introduction to Medical Careers class learn how to perform vital signs readings.
- Students in the Introduction to Pharmacy class learn how to count medication and to identify medication as well as side effects and adverse reactions of medication.
- Health Science is rich in opportunities. It focuses on good healthy living with guest speakers from the Focus Program, universities, various health careers, public health department and organ donation. HOSA participates with the other CTSO’s in scavenger hunts, Valentine parties, community service projects, blood drives, STD/AIDS summits and leadership field trips.
Student Organizations, Activities and Internships:
HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America):
HOSA is the club associated with Health Science. When students are members locally they are also members at the state and national level. Membership Dues are $16.00. HOSA State Leadership and Competition is held in February and National competition is held in June. In order to compete at the national level you must place at the State level. Students who are enrolled in Health Science are elected as the officers of HOSA.
- HOSA hosts a blood drive with Life South in the fall of the school year.
- HOSA students participate with The Focus Program.
- HOSA students teach elementary students using "TAR WARS" which promotes no smoking and tobacco products.
- Field Trips - HIV/AIDS Summit in Huntsville, AL in the Fall and Shocco Springs, AL in the Spring.
Many career areas offer internships, such as:
- McClanahan Dental Office
- Bone and Joint Office and Rehab Facility
- Gentivia Hospice
- Milner Rushing Drugs
- Northwood Pharmacy