Effective Use of the Florence High School Library Media Center
Susie McGee, Media Specialist
HOURS OF OPERATION
Monday – Friday
7:40a.m. – 3:55p.m.
Students may come to the media center before and after school for independent study, directed or recreational reading, or to check out books etc. They may also come to the library for these purposes during their lunch period or with a pass from their classroom teacher.
Filtered Search Engines and AVL resources can be accessed from the “Student Resources” icon on the desktops of all library computers or from the “Online Resources” link found on the Florence City Schools’ Webpage
- Students may check out up to 5 books.
- Books are checked out for two 2 weeks.
- Books may be renewed as long as no one is waiting for them. You must bring books into the library for renewal.
- Reference books and books placed on Reserve cannot be checked out.
- Students cannot check out magazines, audio-visual materials, newspapers, or equipment.
NO Food or Beverages In the Library
Ask a librarian to assist you in using the Library Media Center.
Research Made Easy
The Big 6
What is the Big6?
The Big6 is an information problem—solving process. When you apply the Big6 steps, you have an essential framework to approach any information-based question
1) Task Definition
- What needs to be done?
2) Information Seeking Strategies
- What resources can I use?
3) Location and Access
- Where can I find these resources?
4) Use of Information
- What can I use from these resources?
- What can I make to finish the job?
- How will I know that I did my job well?
All students will be issued a Gaggle account. Gaggle will be used for the following:
- E-mail from one Gaggle account to another.
- Storage for important files, class work, etc.
- Message boards for teachers to post assignments, links, etc.
Important points to remember regarding Gaggle:
- Login must include first initial, last name, followed by @fcs.gaggle.net
- Gaggle is a school account and will be monitored.
- To send your work to Gaggle, first save your document to the desktop then go to Digital Locker and “Add a File”
Computerized CARD CATALOG
- A shortcut to the card catalog (Destiny) is located in the “Student Resources” file of all computers.
- Search for materials by key word, title, author and subject or series.
- Write down call number to locate book on shelf.
- Students must return a signed parental permission form before using the Internet or AVL
- Students must sign in/out on the “Computer Log-In” sheet (Circulation desk) when using the computers independently.
- Specific websites can be accessed through the Internet Explorer icon located on the desktops of the library’s computers or through links located on the FCS webpage. Additionally, the ‘Student Resources” icon provides links to heavily used programs such as Destiny, AVL, and Gaggle.
- Students may not download material from The Internet or install software.
- Flash drives are recommended for saving work. Work can also be saved in the student’s Gaggle account.
- Printing from computer is 5¢ per page.
- A photocopy machine is located near the Circulation desk. Copies are 10¢.
FILTERED SEARCH ENGINES
- Education World
- Awesome Library
- Cyber Sleuth Kids
- How Stuff Works
- CyberSluth Kids
- Fact Monster
- Net Trekker Yahooligans
AVL Online Resources
- The Alabama Virtual Library (AVL) is a collection of databases that contains mostly full-text articles from journals, magazines, newspapers, and encyclopedias. Any Alabama resident is eligible for free access to these databases.
- Students may have home access to AVL by obtaining a card through the school library. AVL can be accessed from all computers that are logged onto The Internet. Some of the databases which are appropriate for high school include:
Auto Repair Reference Center
Biography Reference Bank
Britannica Online School Edition
Business and Company Resource Center
Encyclopedia of Animals
Gale Power Search
InfoTrac Student Edition
Literature Resource from Gale
Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center
Oxford English Dictionary
Oxford Reference Online Premium
Sirs Knowledge Source
Student Research Center